Monday 14 January 2013

Prelim

-PRELIM-

                    Prelim, where new students meet other students and are aquainted with the course they are taking. Some scared and some excited for what is in store for them. I, on the other hand am excited for what I would learn for the days to come and here's what I learned.
                In Prelim I learned about Computer Ethics which is "the analysis of the human nature and the social impact of computer technology and the corresponding formulation and justification of policies for the ethical use of such technology."

           I learned about how one should act when he/she becomes as an I.T. professional. It basically all comes down to ethics/morals. It doesn't matter if I am the best programmer in the world if in the first place I do not have good moral values, it really comes down to how one's attitude is in work and in communicating with fellow co-workers. Then you may ask, how should we act if, as they say, morals is relative and may mean different things to different people? Well, I learned about ethical theories as well.
                         Basically there are two main Ethical theories which are:
KANTIANISM and CONSEQUENTIALISM. Kantianism is simply the theory on how we behave ethically comes from within us and the things that we decide are good or bad are based on whether we could imagine everyone doing them. While Consequentialism is the theory deals with consequences of actions rather than the actions themselves. Both have different ideas and again, these are only theories and does not mean we have to think the same way. It just gives us a better understanding on the "science" of morals.

               And lastly, I learned that "hacking" is not wrong. The term that people usually think of harmful tampering of files/data is cracking. I learned about the different types of hackers and the main goals of those who hack for good and those who do it for own selfish gain. So hacking is not necessarily wrong it just depends on the type of hacking that someone assumes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment